Service animals are an important part of providing equal access to the University of Washington’s programs.  It is the policy of the University of Washington to provide individuals with disabilities requiring the use of a service animal an equal opportunity to access University property, courses, programs, and activities. 

A service animal is an animal that is trained to work or perform active tasks for an individual with a disability, including physical, sensory, mental, psychological, intellectual, or other mental disabilities.  Washington State law does not restrict the type of animal that can serve as a service animal, as long as the animal is trained to do work or perform active tasks for an individual with a disability.

However, in accordance with RCW 49.60.218, only service animals that are dogs or miniature horses are permitted in University food establishments.  Food establishments at the University include all restaurants and stores that do not restrict access to the public.

Please see the UW's Service Animal Policy here.

Please view our Service Animals at the University of Washington training video here.  Please note that this video is hosted by YouTube and you may turn on/off captions by clicking on the CC button.

Members of the Public

Members of the general public and their service animals may generally go wherever access to the public is granted.  There may be exceptions based on the use of the space (such a biologically sensitive sites.)


Like members of the public, students’ service animals are permitted in any buildings or locations where the owner is allowed.  Students who own service animals are not required to register their service animal with the University.  Students may, however, contact the designated disability services office to assist the owner with proactively informing other University personnel, such as faculty, advisors, building coordinators etc. that the service animal should be allowed access.
Disability Resources for Students – Seattle 
(For matriculated students enrolled at the UW Seattle campus and for students in University housing.)
11 Mary Gates Hall
VOICE AND RELAY: 206-543-8924
Disability Services Office in Seattle 
(For members of the public, all University employees, and non-matriculated students enrolled at the UW Seattle campus.)
VOICE: 206-543-6450 or 206-543-6452 (TTY)
Disability Resources for Students - Bothell
(For all students enrolled at the UW Bothell campus.)
Students Success Center
UW-1, Room 170
PH: 425-353-5307 (Voice and Relay)
TDD: 425-352-5303 (Voice and Relay)
Disability Support Services - Tacoma
(For all students enrolled at the UW Tacoma campus.)
1900 Commerce Street
Mattress Factory 354
PH: 253-692-4508 (Voice and Relay)

Residents of University Housing

Requests to use service animals or therapy animals in University housing must be made through the appropriate housing office or designated disability services office.


Service animal owners who use their animal during their employment can seek an accommodation.  Employees should contact the Disability Services Office for more information.  Please see APS 46.5: Policy on Reasonable Accommodation of Employees with Disabilities.

The ADA Coordinator

Should you have concerns regarding service animals and the University, please contact the ADA Coordinator who is responsible for conducting the necessary assessments regarding service animals for all University locations.  If there is an immediate risk of danger to people or property dial 911.
PH: 206-221-7932

Grievance Process/Complaint Reporting

Concerns about whether University employee are in compliance with University policies may contact University Complaint Investigation and Resolution Office (UCIRO).
PH: 206-616-2028
Individuals who wish to file allegations of discrimination also may contact the following:
United States Department of Education Office for Civil Rights (OCR)
PH:  1-800-421-3481 (Voice)
Equal Employment Opportunity Commission
PH:  1-800-669-4000 
TTY: 1-800-669-6820
Washington State Human Rights Commission
PH:  1-800-233-3247 (Voice) or 1-800-300-7525 (TTY)
Housing and Urban Development (HUD)
Seattle Regional Office
PH: 206-220-5101 (Voice)